But before we go…..
Posted by Caroline on May 26, 2008
…..a few final thoughts on how the voting system could be improved for 2009, to make it fairer to all:
1) Outlaw mobile phones across the whole of Eastern Europe and the Baltics, thus making it much harder for the population at large to vote for their neighbours.
2) Re-instate communism in the Eastern Bloc, thus meaning no nations take part in the contest again until at least 2024.
3) Come up with a really complicated qualification system which involves eight different qualifiers consisting of five countries each. Only the top two and a half countries from each qualifier based on the equal percentage of the votes they received, divided by their points average since 1996 and subtracted from the population of the country who drive red cars will be allowed to proceed to the final. Or something.
4) Only Ireland allowed to give any points. But then the UK probably still wouldn’t win.
5) Cost of single phone vote to be raised to £38.50, or equivalent in local currency, thus making it unaffordable to the average voter planning to vote for their neighbours.
6) No countries taking part allowed to vote and entire outcome of contest to be handed over to a sheep farmer somewhere up a mountain in Tibet.
And no, we’re not taking this seriously. But Svante, if you’re listening…..